Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Strategic Adviser Infrastructure
- Make a difference every day
- Varied infrastructure focused project work
- Excellent communicator
The Infrastructure Group is made up of three delivery focussed Business Units: Capital Projects, Utilities, and Transport and Solid Waste. We have created a new tier three role to improve our responsiveness to new opportunities and initiatives, and to manage particularly complex strategic projects across the Group. The role will also play a key role in overseeing the reporting processes for the group.
In this position you’ll find a satisfying blend of strategic and technical work, and relationship management. A key focus of the role will include the co-ordination of advice and report writing for governance matters relating to our infrastructure assets and strategic plans.
Reporting to a highly experienced Group Manager, you will lead and participate in a diverse range of infrastructure related projects, in addition to responding to immediate unanticipated opportunities. Known for your solutions focused approach, the Group Manager will have confidence in your ability to pick up and run with any research or project that comes your way.
While you will not have direct reports, you will enjoy working closely with a professional and dedicated peer group. Your collaborative approach to addressing ambiguous or complex situations and helping people to positively move forward will be recognised and appreciated and you will be regarded as an integral part of the wider team.
You will regularly interact with senior leaders and elected members as well as consultants, partner organisations, and community groups. Your ability to translate and present complex information to others in an engaging way that enables effective decision making, will be key to you becoming a trusted and credible technical leader here at Nelson City Council.
If you’re ready for your next career move, please check out the competencies below and summarise in your cover letter how you could be a great match for this role:
- Strong practical management and leadership skills
- Understanding of Engineering matters
- High level of communication and relationship management skills (business report writing, ability to quickly build positive working relationships, presentation skills, community engagement)
- Project management experience and qualifications (including the ability to right size projects and build effective project teams)
- Sound political acumen and judgement
- Demonstrated application of the Treaty of Waitangi in your work
- A working knowledge of Tikanga and Te Reo Maori is desirable
- Contract management expertise
- A local or central government background
- Knowledge of legislation (e.g. Reserves Act, Local Government Act)
- Relevant undergraduate degree (policy management, project management, engineering, management or leadership)
In return, we offer a friendly, inclusive and flexible work environment with generous leave provisions.
"Working together to make Nelson an even better place"
Nelson City Council is an organisation filled with supportive, friendly people who love living and working here. We have amazing weather, great schools and gorgeous natural environment to play in, it’s a great place for all ages.
Applications close: Midnight, Tuesday 20 April 2021
For more information about the role please contact: Alec Louverdis, Group Manager Infrastructure, on 03 546 0200