Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Health and Safety Officer
Napier is a city with exciting plans for the future. Our vision is to make Napier the best city in Aotearoa to live, work and raise a family, and to achieve this we have a full agenda.
We have made significant progressive strides in Health and Safety and are now looking for someone to help us continue our health and safety journey. Being a champion for health and safety, a natural change leader and having a collaborative approach are some of the traits we are looking for.
About the Position
Reporting to Health & Safety Lead, you will be responsible for developing and implementing health and safety processes and practices to drive a positive health and safety culture and wellbeing initiatives. You will need to be comfortable communicating across all levels within the organisation, and be able to confidently provide coaching and advice to influence safe behaviours in everyday activities of our employees and contractors. A key component of the success of this role is the ability to guide managers and teams to adopt best safety practice and leadership.
- Implement health, wellbeing and safety initiatives
- Provide advice on management of hazards and critical risks
- Drive safety related KPIs across Council
- Conduct audits, review investigations and incidents and carry out follow up actions
- Deliver training where required
- Implement the HS Management framework
- Contractor management
Ideally you'll have a background and qualifications in health & safety and be able to demonstrate your knowledge of health and safety legislation, regulations and contractor management. We will also consider applicants who are on the pathway to become qualified. You will be an engaging and influential team member who is able to bring people on the journey, so amazing communication and people skills are a must.
Skills and experience
- Ideally minimum 5 years experience as a Health and Safety Officer or Advisor
- Practical working knowledge of Health and Safety at Work Act.
- Experience in assessing training needs and coordinating training for staff.
- Ability to think logically, analyse, plan, organise and meet deadlines.
- Strong commitment to health and safety practices.
- Attention to detail and accurately record information.
- Ability to communicate clearly, professionally and effectively with a wide range of people with varying levels of understanding.
- An ability to establish and maintain constructive and positive working relationships.
- Excellent computer literacy with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
To apply you must have experience of New Zealand health and safety legislation and be eligible to work in New Zealand.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status although applicants must have existing rights to work in New Zealand.
Our preferred candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening which includes drug testing and, for some roles, health screening.
If you are ready for this opportunity, then we encourage you to apply now. We will be interviewing suitable candidates as applications are received and may close this advertisement when we have found the right person
To apply for this job go to: http://careers.napier.govt.nz & enter ref code: 4933757.
Permanent Full Time
Job no: 4933757
Location: Napier City
Closing Date: Sunday, 8 December 2019