Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Emergency Management Officer
A unique opportunity exists for someone with a passion for building Emergency Management capacity and capability to join one of the leading emergency management teams in New Zealand.
Work alongside communities, business groups, iwi, and emergency services to deliver a challenging and varied work programme to create resilient communities in Northland.
The opportunity awaits:
The purpose of this position is to lead and develop community awareness, engagement and resilience, at an individual and community level. This is a Shared Services position with the Kaipara District Council as well as supporting the wider Northland Region CDEM activities.
Based in Whangarei, the Emergency Management Officer is responsible for ensuring that councils and emergency service partners, communities, stakeholders and iwi can effectively coordinate the response to civil defence emergencies.
We are seeking a positive-minded Emergency Management Officer to join our team of emergency management professionals. The key focus of the team is working across councils and other partner organisations to increase our region's collective ability to respond to emergencies. Our staff operate at a level that requires the monitoring of hazard events as they evolve and responding as a team at short notice.
The diversity of emergency management makes for a fascinating and challenging range of opportunities. By joining the team, you'll be a key member in one of the leading emergency management teams in New Zealand.
This role will focus on:
- Providing quality leadership; guiding, mentoring and supporting people during response and recovery; inspiring and influencing colleagues through leading by example
- Engaging and collaborating with local communities, iwi, local councils and regional businesses to promote the concept of resilient communities
- Responding to emergencies, providing appropriate and timely advice and demonstrate a high level of response capability/support
We are looking for someone who can bring the following to our diverse talent pool:
- Well-developed knowledge of emergency management principles, practices and statues
- A tertiary level qualification in a recognised field of emergency management or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ideally 3-5 years' experience in a position of a similar nature (e.g. CDEM, police department etc.)
- Completed the Level 4 Coordinated Incident Management Systems courses
- Knowledge and experience of various forms of communications systems
We don't just want someone that CAN do the job, we want someone who has the DRIVE to do a GREAT job and has a passion for what our organisation and values stand for. That's why at NRC, we understand that sometimes the right person doesn't ‘tick all the boxes'. If you don't fit the mould exactly, but truly believe you can help Northland be a resilient community, then tell us. We'll consider it.
What's in it for you?
We'll pay you to do a job you love, and we also care about our staff. Our team has grown a lot over the years, but our small organisation culture is still here. We celebrate our efforts, share wedding/baby pictures, host many shared morning teas, enjoy outings, annual fishing competitions and brunches, and have a lot of fun together. We have an active social club that comes up with great ideas.
We also walk the talk when it comes to flexible working. We have remote workers, home workers, part time workers, condensed weeks and more. We support our staff during the good and hard times, but if you're also interested in the tangible stuff, we have that too - check out our benefits here.
Want to chat with us first or just need more information? If so, contact Graeme MacDonald, Civil Defence Emergency Management Manager today.
The work we do really makes a difference and if you are someone who is motivated to contribute to the emergency management in Northland, check out the position description and apply today.
Applications close on 29 October 2020 and must be submitted online.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency/citizenship, a valid NZ work visa, or the ability to qualify for a valid NZ work visa.
To apply for this job go to: www.nrc.govt.nz/jobs