Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Competency Assessor Processing
Do you want to be part of a dynamic team that drives collaboration between council Building Consent Authorities (BCA’s) in the Waikato Region?
- Two-year fixed term or secondment opportunity with the possibility of becoming permanent
- Remote / Flexible working arrangements
- Work with multiple councils and their talented BCA staff
- High level of technical expertise, assessment, mentoring and training skills with a strong customer centric focus.
Who is Waikato Local Authority Shared Services (WLASS)?
We are a company owned by councils in Waikato. We support those councils to improve customer service, improve their own performance and reduce costs. Our vision is
Waikato councils working together to shape happier communities and staff, and forge effective councils.
We are a small team with big ambitions. We work hard to provide value to our shareholders and their teams, and we pride ourselves on our inclusive and fun culture.
The Waikato Building Consent Group (WBCG) is a cluster of eight Waikato Councils, and is a part of the WLASS family. The WBCG goal is to work together to improve collaboration and consistency in building control functions, processes, and documentation, providing an excellent and consistent customer centric service across the Waikato region.
Each council in the WBCG is a Building Consent Authority (BCA) and to maintain their BCA accreditation Councils must demonstrate that they have the necessary competencies, processes and systems in place to carry out consenting and inspecting duties.
About the opportunity
The purpose of the newly established Competency Assessor Processing is to support the Waikato Building Consent Group (WBCG) in growing and developing BCA capabilities, by completing annual competency assessments on BCA staff undertaking building consent processing.
The Competency Assessor Processing will be responsible for assisting the WBCG to achieve consistency and compliance in regulation 10 of the Building (Accreditation of Building Consent Authorities) Regulations 2006 by:
- completing competency assessments for all building consent authorities (BCAs) processing employees
- arranging WBCG-wide training to address any agreed competency gaps
- enhancing the technical development of all WBCG BCA employees performing processing roles.
This is a fixed term or secondment role for two years with the potential for it to become permanent.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Self-motivated, able to coach others without direct authority
- Solutions focused and a subject matter expert in assessing competency, with proven experience from within the construction industry, preferably a Building Consent Authority
- Highly organised, able to plan and prioritise work; manages time to focus
self and others on the most important activities
- Passionate about helping others develop and grow their own capabilities
- Systems orientated, having a genuine passion for quality, and understanding the importance of having robust processes in place
- Flexible and adaptable when it comes to continuous improvement and change, and is motivated by achieving positive outcomes
- Constantly striving for excellence; delivering a high-quality service at speed will be second nature – bumps in the road don’t deter you
- A believer in the value of strong, positive, trusting teams who work together as one
- A simple, clear communicator that gets straight to the point
- At ease in a flexible working environment and using virtual tools to communicate
To be successful in this role you will have the following skills and experience:
- Comprehensive understanding of the Building Act and the Building (Accreditation of Building Consent Authorities) Regulations 2006
- Hold or possess the skills required by Appendix 2 of MBIE’s National Building Consent Authority Competence Assessment System – Competency Assessor Specification
- Be confident to coach, mentor and train technical building consent staff
- Have high quality skills in building consent processing
- Be able to use building consents digital platforms and systems confidently.
- In-depth knowledge about building practices
- Full driver’s license (this role will require travel around our councils)
If you are passionate about building regulations, competency development and assessment, and you can see yourself making a positive difference to our shareholders and their teams, apply now!
How to apply
Please send the following to Natalie Allam at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A CV outlining your experience;
- A cover letter explaining why this role is your opportunity to shine;
You can find out more about WLASS and the Waikato Building Consent Group by visiting our websiteswww.buildwaikato.co.nz