Bylaw Enforcement Co-ordinator
Permanent Full Time
Whangarei District Council is going through an exciting change. We have reviewed the organisation to create better outcomes for our community. As a result we have created a number of new roles.
The position of Bylaws Enforcement Coordinator reports into the Manager – Health & Bylaws and is responsible for coordinating the Bylaws Enforcement function of the Health & Bylaws department, including enforcement contractor management. You will provide the technical expertise in legislation relating to animal control, parking enforcement and bylaws across the organisation and to the governance function of Council. You will also act as a centre of expertise for media and legal inquiries and Official Information requests relating to Bylaws Enforcement.
You will coordinate enforcement actions including prosecutions, infringements, legal challenges, mediation conferences, evidence preparation and court appearances. In addition, you will run prosecution and enforcement processes for bylaw breaches across the organisation. You will have a strong focus on issue resolution when working.
You will be responsible for management of relevant contractors and related contracts, including financial management, surrounding work carried out on behalf of Council in relation to Bylaw Enforcement, including contracts dealing with, but not limited to:
- Parking, animal control including dog registration, operation of the animal pound, noise control, swimming pool fencing and general bylaws
- Towing vehicles from clearways (parking enforcement)
You will coordinate the renegotiation and development of contracts with relevant parties ensuring contracts include scope, deliverables, fee breakdown and are agreed and signed. You will also be responsible for project management, including the District Pound construction.
Our ideal candidate will need:
- A relevant tertiary level qualification
- Expert knowledge of the Dog Control Act 1996 and the Impounding Act 1955
- Expert knowledge of transport legislation relating to parking enforcement (Land Transport Act 1998 etc)
- Knowledge of the Resource Management Act 1991 as it relates to excessive noise control etc
- Knowledge of the Building Act as it relates to Swimming Pools
- Knowledge of Local Government Act 1974
- Expertise in enforcement of Bylaws, statutes and prosecution processes, including the Summary Proceedings Act 1957
- Proven reasonable understanding of legal processes, interpretation and application
- Experience in a role where contract management has played a significant part
- Demonstrated ability to effectively facilitate successful win-win outcomes
- A strong focus on issue resolution
- Ability to operate effectively under pressure
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in the use of information and communications technology
- Strong project management experience with demonstrated ability to apply project management principles
- Excellent ability to assess and proactively manage risk
- Ability to effectively influence others through development of strong working relationships and provision of clear well thought out advice.
Whangarei is a district on the rise. It is Northland's only city and largest commercial centre. Nestled between the forest clad hills at the heart of the beautiful Whangarei Harbour, nowhere in the district is more than 40 kilometres away from our spectacular coastline and commuting to WDC's CBD location is a breeze.
At Whangarei District Council we take our reputation as a lifestyle destination seriously and consider a range of flexible working and work/life balance options for those that want to work in a professional and progressive environment while still having the time to take advantage of everything our district offers. We provide a competitive salary, a supportive learning environment and the opportunity to work with a team initiating, building and operating innovative and challenging projects.
With median house prices currently at around $430,000, reputable schools, an outstanding natural environment and great, constantly developing facilities, there's a lot that'll make you 'Love it Here!'
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Human Resources team on: 09 430 4200 or 0800 932 463.
To apply for this position go to http://careers.wdc.govt.nz or click the apply now button.
Applications close 5pm Monday, 3 July 2017. Apply now!!!
Closing Date: 5pm Monday, 3 July 2017.