Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Animal Control Officer
Tihei mauri ora!
Nau mai, haere mai, tahuti mai ki Heretaunga!
Heretaunga haukunui, Heretaunga ararau, Heretaunga haaro te kaahu, Heretaunga takoto noa!
Welcome to Heretaunga, the area renowned for its rich and fertile landscape that is sustained by its life-giving dews and waterways. Welcome to Heretaunga, whose beauty is observed by the sharp eye of the harrier hawk; a landscape rich in history and with an esteemed legacy of caring and providing for its inhabitants.
Taitara Mahi – Animal Control Officer
We are looking for an experienced compliance professional with a commitment and passion in animal control, welfare and enforcement. A confident communicator with a natural ability with people and animals.
Hastings District Council’s Animal Control team work across our diverse communities to minimise harm and nuisance from dogs and other animals, and provide essential services such as dog registration and raising public awareness of responsible dog ownership. We have a strong focus on education and quality customer service.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Responding to public complaints about dog and stock control; dealing promptly and accurately with customer requests for services including managing aggressive and/or barking dogs, dog attacks, wandering dogs and stock issues.
- Providing high quality information and advice to customers along with responding to written queries.
- Working within the Dog Control Act 1996, Council’s Dog Control Bylaws 2016 and to administer the provisions of the Stock Impounding Act 1955, and HDC policy and procedures to ensure compliance and public safety
- To be successful in this role you will need to be able to relate to a broad range of people so you must be able to confidently manage relationships, conflicts and disputes, have an affinity with a range of animals, be calm under pressure and be resolution focused.
What you will bring:
- Great communication and conflict resolution skills. The ability to deal with difficult potentially confrontational situations
- Investigation skills, experience with legislation and report writing
- Demonstrated capability to deal with aggressive dogs and other animals. Confidence in handling dogs and stock
- National Certificate in compliance and regulatory control
- At least 2 years' experience in animal management OR in a public facing compliance background
- Ability to make sound decisions which are in the best interests of the community, whilst demonstrating consistency and compliance with legislation
- Ability to think on your feet and resolve situations when they arise
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office and other software
- A full clean NZ driving licence and the ability to drive a manual vehicle
Our work environment is professional, progressive and supports continuous learning and development, if this sounds like you and you have the skills and attitude to be successful in this role then apply today. We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Are you keen to be a part of our journey?
Applications close: 29 January 2021