Parks and Open Spaces Planning Manager
Queenstown is experiencing unprecedented growth across the board, which necessitates growth for Queenstown Lakes District Council. The 2018 – 2028 Ten Year Plan that is set out in front of us will see significant investment in infrastructure and a growing requirement for community, support and regulatory services across the board.
A key aspect of our delivery rests in providing high quality parks and green spaces for our community and visitors in the most beautiful District in New Zealand.
Are you looking to work in a progressive forward thinking organisation? The most beautiful District in New Zealand is currently experiencing a high growth; this growth offers career development opportunities for enthusiastic, motivated and results-driven professionals like you.
Queenstown Lakes District Council is at the very heart of the community, employing over 460 staff; we manage infrastructure development, community recreational facilities and planning, building and other regulatory services. With an annual operational budget of well over $100m and a capital expenditure programme of $990m over ten years, we are a major part of the district’s economy.
The gold prospectors were so captivated by the beauty of the surrounding mountains and rivers, they declared it a “town fit for a Queen” and the town was thence known as ‘Queenstown’.
Queenstown is nestled in the Southern Alps of New Zealand on the shores of Lake Wakatipu and is rated as one of the World’s top destinations. Queenstown is renowned for its four distinctive seasons which offer snow-capped mountains during the winter months for snowboarding and skiing, and long hot days which are perfect for mountain biking, food and wine tasting or walking along the many trails Queenstown has to offer during the summer months. Thrill seekers, families and food and wine connoisseurs will all find Queenstown Lakes District the perfect place to call home.
The Parks and Reserves Planning Manager will provide technical and people leadership for the delivery of high quality parks, reserves, and open spaces planning in the Queenstown-Lakes district. The role will lead strategic planning, policy and projects, to develop QLDC’s vision for parks and reserves.
- An excellent technical knowledge of the Reserves Act and a working knowledge of the Resource Management Act.
- Demonstrate leadership in developing the vision for QLDC’s parks and reserves through forward thinking and innovative strategy
- Ensure the existing open space network and new reserves meet the needs of the community, can provide for growth and will continue to be protected and enhanced
- Develop supportable and effective policies and plans to enable the vision for parks and reserves
- Ensure that projects are sufficiently scoped, supported by business cases and demonstrate financial and resource optimisation
- Ensure the vision for open space, parks and reserves is supported through the development of the Long Term Plan, Annual Plan, District Plan review and the Council’s Work Plan
- Communicate the vision for open space, parks and reserves and achieve buy-in from Councillors, the organisation, collaboration partners, key stakeholders and the wider community
- Bachelor in RM Planning, Parks and Recreation Policy, Landscape Architecture, Law, or equivalent
- 10 years minimum relevant experience within a local government parks sector
- Specialist knowledge of Reserves Act 1977 and Resource Management Act 1991
- Understanding of strategic planning principles, policy preparation and public consultation
- Proven experience of leadership
- Proven experience in project management
- Strong technical skills across local authority parks sector
- Competitive market remuneration
- Career progression and training opportunities
- Regular working hours
- Subsidised Health Insurance
- Discounted health and fitness club rates at our great facilities
- Relocation allowance will be considered for the right candidates
For more information on this role, or to apply, please visit www.qldc.govt.nz/jobsApplications close 8 November 2018
Permanent Full Time
Job no: JZAI842967
Closing Date: Applications close, 8 November 2018